Saturday 1 May 2010

Town Hall Blues

When news broke last month that plans were afoot concerning the civic quarter of Tunbridge Wells I ventured the opinion that there are some prize fools on the loose in the Town Hall. If you are planning a major upheaval you just don't let anything leak out. Unfortunately it has, hence the furore at the recent Town Forum meeting. Suspicions have been roused, positions are being taken, all of which damage the prospect for an open-minded debate when the plans eventually emerge.

The rot set in in this part of Tunbridge Wells when the magistrates court was moved to Sevenoaks and the police station downgraded to part-time status. This was followed by the Council moving staff to the Gateway. Now the public are advised that: the town hall is closed to the public. Odd, isn't it, that the focal point for civic life is closed to the public. Town hall staff and councillors now live in a cocoon.

The staff at the Gateway remind me of call-centre staff. We are cut off from the decision makers. When I worked for a local authority when a person arrived at the city hall with a problem which a member of front-line staff could not resolve, he/she would be invited in to my office to discuss the issue.

Instead of improving services to the public, the Gateways in Kent have made matters worse, by reducing the public to the status of customers. 'Customers' is the word used by Kent County Council to describe individuals who visit Gateways. I am not a customer, I am a citizen and the Council is (or should be!) accountable to me as an elector. The Council is my servant: I am not the Council's customer.

I would not object if the Assembly Hall, the library & museum and the adult education centre were all swept away as each has many defects. However they would have to be replaced by purpose built premises which conform to present day needs/requirements. Can we trust the Council to achieve this? I have my doubts. When the Sherwood Community Centre was demolished, the replacement building, known as TN2, did not have internal design features which would enable the building to be used to its full potential. So, the omens are not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment