Monday 3 May 2010

Redgraves

It came as a shock today to read of the death of Lynn Redgrave, so soon after Corin Redgrave's death. So, Vanessa has lost her two younger siblings.

Many years ago when I worked for the council in Coventry I received a telephone call. 'Vanessa Redgrave speaking' said the voice at the other end of the line. Pull the other one I thought, but no, it was Vanessa Redgrave and she wanted to visit me to discuss setting up a workshop for unemployed young people in Coventry, run by her Workers' Revolutionary Party.

A chat to my boss and the politicians and it was decided I meet Vanessa, but offer her nothing. So the day came. My colleagues didn't believe I was to be visited by such a star, but bang on time she arrived. I was surprised how tall she is.

She suggested we take lunch at a local pub. We did. The maddening thing was that nobody recognised her!

No comments:

Post a Comment