Wednesday 5 October 2011

Rusthall Parish Council - a response!

My previous blog headed Rusthall Parish Council running a whelk stall has provoked a response from a parish councillor.  On the basis that one shouldn't dish out criticism if one cannot take it, here is what the councillor wrote:

As a newly formed Parish Council comprising mostly of people who have never been a Councillor before, it is expected that there will be a few hiccups in the first year, especially when trying to organise a large project such as a Budget questionnaire. After all, we are all human and for some Parish Councillors, we have the added responsibility of being a Councillor on top of our normal day job. Please don't forget that we are doing this completely voluntarily and in our own time. And, quite frankly, your comments would have more weight if you had actually put yourself forward for a Councillor position where you would be able to have more say and more power to effect change within the village rather than just moaning from the sidelines. I would hardly call yourself a Community Activist....

Yours sincerely

Councillor Kelly Watson
who by the way is still overseeing the Budget Questionnaire project whilst wearing a heart monitor and undergoing cardiology treatment. I don't think you can doubt my commitment or passion for the welfare of my village)


I point out to Councillor Watson that some of us have done our bit for the village: for example I have been:
  • Borough councillor: 1996-2000
  • Chairman of Rusthall Community & Youth Project
  • Trustee of Melville's Charity for Molyneux Almshouses
  • Governor at Rusthall Infants, Rusthall Juniors and Bishops Down schools
All this in a voluntary capacity whilst working full-time.

Quite apart from that I have been, again in a voluntary capacity:

Vice-chairman: Bridge Trust
Chairman: Number One Community Trust
Chairman: Crossroads - Caring for Carers
Secretary:  Shopmobility, Tunbridge Wells
Chairman: West Kent Council for Voluntary Service
Trustee: Age Concern Tunbridge Wells
Secretary: Tunbridge Wells Churches Social Responsibility Group
Director: High Weald Housing Association

I could continue, but you get the drift.

Currently I am a director of Tunbridge Wells Mental Health Resource Limited and working to develop a food bank in Kent.

The activity which gave me most satisfaction was chairing the independent group which produced the first Tunbridge Wells Borough Community Plan in 2004.  Again, no payment, but I did receive an acknowledgement for my efforts thus:

(At the Council meeting) you were singled out for particular recognition and praise for your Chairmanship and your unstinting commitment to seeing the Plan through to adoption and ensuring constructive dialogue with the Council throughout.

For my part, I shall continue my 'moaning'.  A careful reading of my posts will show that I have congratulated the parish council, as well as voicing my concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment