Sunday 22 May 2011

STOP Notice

Some years ago I used to travel a lot between Coventry and Chesterfield by rail.  This involved a change at Birmingham New Street.  The connection at New Street was tight and on many occasions the train from Coventry would arrive in Birmingham as my connection was departing.  Sometimes I struck lucky and the train I was intending to board at New Street was running late.

I had no grounds for complaint if I missed my connection as it was not timetabled and circumstances would not permit me to catch an earlier train from Coventry.

It was my fate to kick my heels at New Street for an hour until the next Derby bound train arrived. Unfortunately this train was non stop between Derby and Sheffield, so I had to change at Derby and await the arrival of a train from London which went forward to Chesterfield and Sheffield. In Derby I found an interesting watering hole, the Vic, of which more will be revealed in a later post.

The time between trains at Derby was thirty minutes and on occasion the problem arose that my train from Birmingham was running late and I would miss my connection at Derby.  This called for action.

I would visit the Station Manager's office at New Street and explain the problem. See what we can do, I was informed. Usually it worked a treat and the station announcer would intone: The next train at platform 8 is the 18.50 for Burton, Derby, Sheffield, Rotherham, Wakefield and Leeds, calling additionally at Chesterfield.

One evening I secured an additional stop and when the train arrived at Derby the London-Sheffield train I would normally connect with was standing at the adjoining platform.  The station announcer intoned: The train at platform I is for Chesterfield and Sheffield. the train at Platform 2 is for Sheffield, Rotherham, Wakefield and Leeds.  No mention of the additional stop.

What to do?  Leg it over to platform 1 or stay put?  I chose not to move and shortly afterwards the train for Chesterfield and Sheffield pulled out.  The station announcer kept intoning that the train I was on would have Sheffield as its first stop.

Decisive action was called for.  As the platform staff starting blowing whistles for the train to leave I opened the door and steadfastly refused to close it.  Pandemonium broke out. Two platform staff were beside themselves and in no time the guard was hurrying up the platform and the British Transport Police were called.   Minutes passed.  The train driver came down the platform and in colourful language asked what was amiss. This bloke reckons you are stopping at Chesterfield the mob chorused.

Well I am, I have a special stop notice.  I have never seen railway staff melt away so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment