Tuesday 17 May 2011

House of Lords Reform

Constitutional law was a compulsory subject when I studied for my law degree. When I suggested to my law lecturer that the House of Lords should be an elected body he commented that it would never happen.  His arguments were:

1.  The Lords is a revising chamber.
2.  It can only delay bills, it cannot stop them.  The Parliament Acts ensure the supremacy of the Commons over the Lords.
3.  The Commons would not countenance a rival elected body.

The proposal that a new upper chamber be elected by some form of proportional representation will give it legitimacy and inevitably will lead to conflict between the Commons and the new upper house.

I don't think the consequences of having a second democratically elected chamber have been worked out.  Comparisons with other countries are meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment