Saturday 10 April 2010

A favourite haunt in Coventry

The Black Swan's landlord was Brendan McDermott ably supported by his wife Bridie and two staff, Maisie and John. All Irish, as were the vast majority of his customers. A lovely friendly house.
I was at the Black Swan the day Brendan and company moved in, indeed I played a small part in the ritual of the change-over. The Guinness flowed, it always did, and Brendan had a reputation for generosity. After I left Coventry I would call in at the Black Swan whenever I was within twenty miles of the pub, which was not very often. A warm welcome always awaited.
A few years ago I was in Telford and decided that I would break my journey back to London at the Black Swan, not having been in for a few years. On arrival I was greetrd by a new landlord who had moved in that very day. Seated in a corner was Bridie who was as welcoming as ever. Sadly, Brendan and John had died but Maisie was still going strong.
It felt rather strange that I had been present when Brendan and Bridie moved in to the pub and by pure chance I was there the day Bridie moved out.

No comments:

Post a Comment