Friday 2 April 2010

Down Memory Lane (3)

As I was dispatching more old paperwork to the waste bin today, I came across documents relating to the spat over the Millennium Clock at Five Ways in Tunbridge Wells. At the time I was a councillor and the siting of the clock had to be agreed by the planning committee. I voted for the proposal.

The Civic Society (or as I named it, the Aspic Society) was opposed to the design of the clock, which in itself seemed to me a sound reason for voting for the proposal. The Society is an elitist organisation which pores over planning applications, yet doesn't seem at all interested in the plight of disadvantaged sections of the community.

Some of its members openly claimed it to be a Town Council is waiting should the Borough Council ever agree to a council for what was Royal Tunbridge Wells, as distinct from the much larger area which the Borough Council covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment