Wednesday 7 April 2010

Cricket Tales (7) Keeping mum

One hot sunny Saturday I was umpiring in the semi-final of a cup competition. The game was played at Alfreton Park . One batsman, who also happened to be the vice-chairman of the league, was on 96 when the bowler, a left-hander coming round the wicket sent down a corker of a ball. Big appeal for lbw which I declined as I thought the ball would miss the stumps. At the end of the over I sauntered down the wicket, as one does, when a bowler is straying close to running on the wicket, and was greeted by the batsman who congratulated me on hearing the very faint snick of bat on ball.

When I resumed at the bowler's end the same bowler, still bowling round the wicket, sent down an absolute beauty and I had no hesitation in giving the batsman out lbw. He was on 98. He looked at me and walked off.

Later, in the pavilion enjoying a few pints, the batsman came up to me and said he was somewhat perplexed in that having heard the first faint snick I had not heard the even louder snick on the ball when I had given him out.

I didn't have the heart to tell him I had heard no snick on either ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment