Saturday 5 November 2011

All for free

I have received today an e-mail from one of my readers which I take in the spirit I write this blog: if you dish out criticism you have to receive it with equanimity.  However there is one point which I feel I have to answer in order to put the record straight.

It has been mentioned on this blog that I chaired the group which published the first community plan for Tunbridge Wells.  Tunbridge Wells Borough Council had the legal responsibility to produce the  plan and decided to achieve this through an independent steering group.  All the members of the steering group spent many hours reading documents and attending meetings of the group.  In addition, I had many extra meetings.

Contrary to the comment made by my correspondent (we were in it for the money), no member of the steering group received any payment, although we were all presented with a bottle of wine and received a letter of thanks from the Council.  I donated my bottle to the Mayor's charity to be raffled off at an event.

I was asked by an officer of the Council how our efforts should be recognised and suggested a letter from the Council would be appropriate and sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment