Tuesday 15 October 2024

Part 323. Personal opinions.(1)

This blog does not seek to promote opinions with a view to influencing people to support them.  It is a commentary on how I perceive what is happening and what should be happening in the world.  I do not set out to be provocative, nor do I seek to act as a gatekeeper of "the truth".  It's more a case of finding it helpful to me to commit my thoughts to paper.

Evangelical free churches, The Salvation Army (TSA) and the Church of England (CofE) have been major influences in my faith journey. For many years I attended and preached at free churches.  Basically it was a diet of biblical fundamentalism and conservative evangelical doctrine.  However over time I became convinced that the most important element was to follow Jesus and love your neighbour. And so I slowly drifted away from the free churches and landed in the CofE.

What a glorious mish-mash of theology and ecclesiology!  High church, low church, Anglo-Catholics, liberals, and conservative evangelicals rubbing along with the odd elements of friction and yes, loathing.  Unity in diversity.  The CofE found a mechanism (flying bishops) to preserve an uneasy peace when it decided to ordain women.

 Now battle has been joined on the issue of church blessings for couples in same-sex civil marriages. There is an orchestrated campaign afoot for the creation of a new province within the CofE, not based on geography, but on an opinion that to permit such blessings is a fundamental breach of the CofE's doctrine and tradition and a refutation of biblical truth.

There is the threat of schism and departure from the Church.  How much of this is mere sabre-rattling is hard to tell.  Loss of homes and church buildings will doubtless make clergy think very carefully. The issue is having a debilitating effect within the Church which it can well do without given falling congregations, deteriorating revenue and major safeguarding issues. The vicar of the Church I attend has stated support for the blessings.

To follow: The Salvation Army.  Also  my theological shift.



No comments:

Post a Comment