Friday 16 September 2011

Rusthall's public toilets. Is the Council flush with money?

When I worked for a local authority, and later as a councillor, the point was drummed into me that although a council had 'its' money, it had to be remembered always that the money was acquired by forcing people to pay money to the council by way of council tax or, in the case of money received from central government, by way of taxation.

The decision taken by Rusthall Parish Council to undertake a survey to assist it in setting budget priorities next April is welcome.  I await my copy of the survey but I hope that suggestions have been costed, otherwise ticking a box to say I agree to the toilets being re-opened, or more salt bins etc is meaningless.

In the current climate of austerity and inflation the last thing the people of Rusthall need is an exorbitant parish precept.  A prioritised wish-list of improvements is one thing, raising the funds to make it a reality quite another.

I hope the survey includes a question asking residents what they believe a reasonable level of parish precept is. The precept is likely to be a contentious issue if the responses to the consultation prior to setting up the parish council are anything to go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment