Sunday 29 August 2010

My doppelganger

One lunchtime I accompanied a few friends to the local pub for a drink. The landlord was sporting a huge bandage on a thumb. After a while he accosted me and said he was disappointed I had not shown a keen interest in his thumb. It took a while for me and my colleagues to convince him that I was not employed at the local hospital in the A & E department. There followed a profuse apology and free drinks for my party.

A week or so later I am standing at the bar in another pub when I receive a hearty slap on the back and the comment: 'mine's a pint' directed in my direction. On turning round my assailant had a double-take. 'Good god' he said, 'you aren't my brother-in-law'. Apparently my shape and mannerisms were identical to this other person. And, yes, he did work at the local hospital. A free drink followed.

I never did get to see my identical twin.

No comments:

Post a Comment