Sunday 29 August 2010

Gardening notes

I have been pleased with the display in the garden this year. Plenty of colour and variety. The new plants have settled in well, the runner beans are cropping nicely and the raspberries are ripening, although they are later this year. I put this down to the prolonged hot spell. Raspberry jam making will start soon.

To water or not to water the garden in hot weather? I water tubs, anything newly planted and the vegetable patch. Other than that I think it is preferable to let nature take its course. Roots will burrow down for water so established plants should be left well-alone.

The recent heavy rain and winds has played havoc with some of my plants, so tomorrow I shall be cutting back damaged growth as well as giving some of the shrubs a hard prune. Then I hope to be able to leave the gardening for the rest of the year, apart from collecting raspberries and runner beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment