Thursday 21 April 2011

Rusthall Parish Council: Who will get my vote?

A fortnight to go before the first election to Rusthall Parish Council.  The village is hardly in ferment. Let's hope there are a few fireworks from the candidates to enthuse the electorate to come out and vote.

It is a fact that the vast majority of people did not respond to either the first or second consultation on  forming a parish council. Indeed, those promoting the formation of a parish council expressed concern that far fewer people responded to the second consultation than to the first.  Of them that did respond, the 'pro' parish council adherents heavily outnumbered the opponents.  Some of the comments by the 'anti' brigade were most uncomplimentary about the people 'pro' a parish council.

So, where will my votes be going? 14 candidates for 9 seats.  I have dismissed one candidate as he lives in Ramslye.  One candidate has delivered an election address, so for effort might well receive one of my votes.  Another candidate has had posters placed in shop windows. At least shows some gumption so might well receive my vote.  4 of the candidates I know, which might or might not lead me to vote for them.

That leaves 7 candidates about whom I know nothing and for whom I shall not vote.  I understand from one of the candidates that there was talk of a collective election address.  So, come on  let's be hearing from you if you want me to consider voting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment