Thursday 15 December 2022

Part 33. Theological influences: section 1

Once upon a time I was a senior lecturer in law. The university's title for my subject was Jurisprudence and Legal Theory which struck me as tautologous. The skills I acquired in understanding the subject are now described as transferable skills and came in useful when I began studying scripture. 

My current understanding of scripture and my Christian faith has been shaped by many influences including"

Liberation Theology
Don Cupitt and the Sea of Faith movement
The Book of Common Prayer.
Postmodernism
Faith in the City
JK Galbraith 
Walter Brueggemann 
NT Wright
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Oscar Romero 
Luther King Jnr 
Richard Rohr 

The keys to my understanding scripture and my faith are the two Great Commandments and what Jesus says about them, and the words of Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

It has been a challenge for me to determine if my understanding of scripture and faith is a consequence of the writings I have perused or if I have gone in search of material to support my understanding. I suspect it is some of both.

The starting point had to be the Bible.  There is no point in reading commentaries or theological papers unless you have read the source material.  What does a passage you read mean? Has your understanding of a passage been coloured, influenced or conditioned by something you have read or heard? Has a gatekeeper attempted to tell you what to think?

Jesus cannot tell you what he means, nor can Shakespeare or any other dead writer for that matter. All that is available is the text itself, your understanding and beyond that the interpretation by others. But others have their own agendas. You may believe that your understanding is driven by the Holy Spirit but it is a serious claim to make. Some argue that even if an author is living a text still means what the reader makes of it.

Understanding Jesus is an adventure, a journey, a quest, an exploration, a voyage of discovery. Do we travel with hope and expectation of finding that which we seek? What are we seeking: certainty, comfort, peace?

I do not seek to guide you on your journey, after all I am not a gatekeeper. However do try and avoid the mushy, saccharine - laced, sentimental, emotional twaddle dished out by what I dub The Barbara Cartland School of Theology. 








No comments:

Post a Comment