Sunday 14 July 2024

Part 302. A decade on.

I became Adherent member of The Salvation Army a decade ago. My reasons for joining were primarily that the people at the local Corps were friendly and I admired the work of the Army in supporting people at their point of need.  

Since joining I have noted improvement in the Army's campaigning activity: seeking to impress upon government the need for social justice initiatives to tackle the causes of poverty, deprivation, discrimination and marginalisation.

I have been concerned about the Army's failure to tackle exclusion within its organisation of LBGTQ+ individuals.  Hopefully change is afoot and I am full of admiration for officers and others in the Army pressing for change.  I was prepared to remain an Adherent and support those seeking change.

I was brought up short by a recent speech by the General.  It reminded me of how my views are  so different from the Army's doctrines. I cannot help but feel that I should not remain as an Adherent, but leaving would be a huge wrench.  What to do, where to go should i leave?   

No comments:

Post a Comment