Saturday 13 January 2024

Part 208. On bible authorship and authority

I have argued before in this blog that the Bible is a human construct.  Recently I came upon the following passage by Marcus Borg, a USA liberal theologian and long-standing friend of NT Wright, a distinguished English theologian and former Bishop of Durham.  

I  let go of the notion that the Bible is a divine product. I learned that it is a human cultural product, the product of two ancient communities, biblical Israel and early Christianity. As such, it contained their understanding and affirmations, not statements coming directly or somewhat directly from God...I realised that whatever "divine revelation" and the "inspiration of the Bible" meant (if they meant anything) they did not mean that the Bible was a divine product with divine authority.  



No comments:

Post a Comment