Friday 15 March 2024

Part 258. My theological position: a summary. Section One.

As I have mused on theological matters in this blog some of my beliefs have developed, others have stayed as they were whilst yet others have been rejected. It is all personal opinion, though I trust I have taken counsel from others far more experienced and knowledgeable in theology than I can ever hope to be. I eschew flowery and opaque language. Jargon leaves me cold. Keep it simple but not simplistic.

So what is my theological stance?  

I let go of the notion that the Bible is a divine product. I learned that it is a human cultural product, the product of two ancient communities, biblical Israel and early Christianity. As such, it contained their understandings and affirmations, statements not coming directly or somewhat directly from God.....I realised that whatever "divine revelation" and the "inspiration  of the Bible" meant (if they meant anything, they did not mean that the Bible was a divine product with divine authority.
Marcus Borg 

The above may be read in conjunction with the following statement by Borg.

Properly understood the Bible is a potential ally to the progressive Christian passion for transformation of ourselves and the world.  It is our great heritage.  Along with Jesus, to whom it is subordinate, it is our greatest treasure.

What is properly understood? How do we understand the meaning of words? How do we develop understanding of the message words are intended to convey?  How do we interpret the bible in our context? The ideas of Jacques Derrida and other postmodernists inform us that the meaning of literature is not determined by the author but by our own understanding.  A sensible approach. How are we to know what the authors of the Bible intended? Each generation brings its own interpretation to bear on scripture. In this context I proffer this gem.

My point is not that those ancient people told literal stories and we are not smart enough to take them symbolically, but that they told them symbolically and we are now dumb enough to take them literally.
John Dominic Crossan

So, should we take the synoptic gospels stories about Jesus literally or symbolically and if the latter what do they symbolise? Perhaps that God is love expressed symbolically in human form in Jesus.












No comments:

Post a Comment