Wednesday 18 October 2023

Part 170. The Army: and me. A quandary.

For many years I have been impressed by the work The Salvation Army engages in in supporting the lonely, the marginalised, the deprived, the poor, the homeless, the unemployed, the refugee, the modern day slave, the alcoholic,  the discriminated against. This work is done in its settings (locations) week in and week out and takes a multitude of forms. The activities are undertaken by the Army alone, or in collaboration, or in partnership with other organisations; public bodies, companies or charities. 

On top of this relief work TSA engages at national level campaigning for changes to tackle the causes of the above-mentioned matters.

It was in this context that in 2014 I became an Adherent member of The Army. At the time neither the theology nor the doctrine of the Army were  considerations in my decision to join. However since then I have become aware of discrimination within the Army directed at individuals on the basis of sexual orientation. My corps' officer states I have a passion for inclusiveness (as indeed have many officers and soldiers). This sets me at odds with the Army's theology and arguably doctrine. My quandary is: stay or leave.  Frankly I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment