Saturday 27 August 2011

Speeding vehicles in Rusthall

The road I live on is used as a 'rat-run' and speeding cars are a problem, particularly as the exit from one side road is 'blind' in one direction. Not a problem if traffic is travelling within the 30mph speed limit, but potentially very dangerous if travelling at over 40mph.

The parish council has come up with the idea of installing two 'vehicle activated speed signs'. Not sure it is a good idea as drivers will be distracted simply by looking at them and also by checking the car speedometer against the number flashing on the speed sign.  I foresee some drivers competing to achieve the highest number. One councillor is quoted as stating:

I think the flashing signs are brilliant.  It will draw people's attention.  Quite.

Another parish councillor stated her preference was for speed bumps. I agree: they do slow traffic down although they are not favoured by the emergency services.

The signs will cost £4,500 and does not seem to me to be money well spent and I do not agree that they are better than nothing.  But so what: after all, it is only public money that is being wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment